Friday, September 20, 2013

Psalm 108

I chose Psalm 108 for my sonnet. The original reads as such:

O God, my heart is fixed; I will sing and give praise, even with my glory.
Awake, psaltery and harp: I myself will awake early.
I will praise thee, O Lord, among the people: and I will sing praises unto thee among the nations.
For thy mercy is great above the heavens: and thy truthreacheth unto the clouds.
Be thou exalted, O God, above the heavens: and thy glory above all the earth;
That thy beloved may be delivered: save with thy right hand, and answer me.
God hath spoken in his holiness; I will rejoice, I will divide Shechem, and mete out the valley of Succoth.
Gilead is mine; Manasseh is mine; Ephraim also is the strength of mine head; Judah is my lawgiver;
 Moab is my washpot; over Edom will I cast out my shoe; over Philistia will I triumph.
 Who will bring me into the strong city? who will lead me into Edom?
 Wilt not thou, O God, who hast cast us off? and wilt not thou, O God, go forth with our hosts?
 Give us help from trouble: for vain is the help of man.
 Through God we shall do valiantly: for he it is that shall tread down our enemies.

And my version:

Fixed is my heart. O God, I sing thy praise
Among the folk, nations, kindreds, peoples.
For all of thy mercy my hands I raise
Heaven high, thy mercy lies on steeples.

Rescue, O God, thy beloved with thy right hand.
Answer me, thou who wrote the holy writ-
Rejoice! Gilead, Manaseh, Ephraim, they stand
As mine, and thine. Divine, I will commit,

But who shall lead me into Edom strong?
Wilt thou, O God, cast off thy children yet?
Wilt thou tread down the foe that throngs
To raze thy humble flock with trials met.

O God, thy help in strife we plead and claim
For any help of man or beast is vain.


Can I just say I have mad respect for Milton after doing this.


1 comment:

  1. Wow! Great job! I'm particularly impressed by your enjambment (probably because I found it so difficult). It flows really well and you condensed the original psalm without making it seem like it was bursting at the seems or verbose.

    ReplyDelete