Sunday, September 8, 2013

Paradise Lost and Paradise Found

I'm Ashley Hill and I love Milton. Not only because he was blind and I am legally blind, but because of his magical way of writing. Did you know he would verbally dictate Paradise Lost and his daughters would write it down? I cannot imagine not being able to SEE what I had just written. He was a true author, in my opinion at least! Now I wouldn't have said that if I hadn't taken an English class last winter on Greek and Roman works, where we studied how the Iliad and the Aeneid shared traits with Paradise Lost. 

It will be a neat experience to hear Paradise Lost, as it is an epic poem and poems are meant to be listened to. Paradise Lost also intrigues me because of Milton's interpretation of the Adam and Eve story and how it reflects or contrasts with my own religious beliefs.
A little about me-I'm a senior majoring in English (is that obvious, at this point?) and minoring in Communications. I work at the Department of Visual Arts as a secretary and have no idea what I am doing after graduating, but hopefully I will be writing grants! I've been married to Cory for about 18 months and we are the happy owners of Sienna, a chocolate lab puppy, and Ella, a nine year old cocker spaniel. We got Sienna about a year ago when she was born and Ella is my childhood pet that my parents just sent to us from Illinois because they are currently moving to Minnesota! I love cooking, reading, hiking and decorating my home.
Cory and I this summer in San Diego! 

So nice of Sienna to get me a "Mother's Day" card... 
Cory and Ella on our yellow suede couches. 


1 comment:

  1. Great to get to know you and to see you connecting to Milton already.

    ReplyDelete