Friday, October 25, 2013

"Why Comes not Death"

I simply couldn't resist the chance to include a clip from Wit as pertaining to death. I only discovered it a few days ago, but I felt so inspired and enlightened by this clip that it's dominated my thoughts for the past three days. 
Keeping that in mind, I want to move on to Paradise Lost, because a couple lines have changed the way that I think about death and redemption. The following come from Adam's 'lamentation' near the end of Book X:

                          "Why comes not Death,"
Said he, "with one thrice acceptable stroke
To end me? Shall Truth fail to keep her word,
Justice Divine not hasten to be just? (853-856)
For me, it's really about that first line. I don't know why for sure, but I think there's something way deeper there than I'm picking up. In any case, though, I love the profundity of the questions Adam asks. You can tell that he's doing some serious soul searching, because his words capture at once the guilt of a sinner and the disbelief of a saint proven wrong in his understanding of 'doctrine.' I honestly feel like there have been times in my life where God has stepped in and said, "No, you're not understanding. Let me help you to comprehend." And in these moments, I've thought something akin to what Adam wondered: "Why does God still love me? Why, when He knows my every fault, does He still extend His hand in mercy and forgiveness, telling me day by day to keep trying?" For me, the answer is because Truth tells Him that there is more to me than a mess-up who will never amount to anything. Truth tells him that sin shall flee away, that "death shall be no more," that all these things shall pass and man shall be exalted to a state of glory and joy. In His knowledge is the surety of that comma in Donne's poem: "death shall be no more, death thou shalt die."



No comments:

Post a Comment