Monday, November 25, 2013

More Annotated Sources

John Milton, Monalisa 2013
In previous posts, I have outlined a couple people to look into and annotated a few sources I have checked into. Here, I would like to go on with that list by adding some blogs and new media, since my project will work with that. But also, I would like to focus a little more on Milton. I realize that it will be really easy to fall into the trap of making Milton fall to the wayside in favor of the modern application. So I need to find some sources that deal strictly with Milton and so I am not forgetting him. I already did this some, but I could do it more. So here it goes.


ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY.2

First, let's cover some social media.

Gabriel Jbreel Hess

  • An aspiring military chaplain, he posts numerous links to Edward Snowden's leaks and articles about the NSA.
  • I've already talked to him, and he's been willing to help me find more things as they pop up.
Google+ Media
  • Communities are few and far between that deal strictly with the NSA and Edward Snowden, but all you have to do is type in #NSA or #Snowden on the search bar and you come up with this.
  • This is an invaluable source for breaking news information I could use to further my argument.
  • Typing in #Milton or #JohnMilton lends very few results.
YouTube
  • Almost every blog post I've posted about the NSA or included at least one video or link to a video. 
  • The subject I'm dealing with is largely covered in the news, which means there will be many videos I can utilize.
  • Here are a few I think are very important:
Film
  • The Fifth Estate
    • I watched this film, and while it is a dramatization, it has done well to give a narrative that allows the public to see why this is a big deal.
    • It flopped at box offices and took a hit in the media, and Assange doesn't like the film either, but given the information I already have about WikiLeaks, the same story is being told,  it is another view.
Lecture Sources
  • Yale has a lecture posted about Areopagitica.
    • Lecture
      • It's great to have a media source for Milton so the new media isn't so one sided.
  • There are other people (on YouTube) I'm sure I can find that have lectures on Areopagitica.
Online Books
  • The BYU Library has a bunch of library books that are fully accessible online. Here are a couple that I'm going to look into.
    • Wittreich, Joseph. Why Milton Matters: A New Preface to His Writings. New York: Palgrave MacMillan, 2006. Web.
      • Page 143 has some great information I'd like to utilize on how Areopagitica has been cited in case of modern day Britain and America. 
      • Page 24 deals with Milton's fear of having his name on Areopagitica, which is a great bit for connecting to the modern day, where WikiLeaks has gone to great measures to hide whistleblowers' identities. 
      • I intend to look over this more closely, as the search feature makes it amazingly simple to find any reference to Areopagitica throughout the book.
    • Knoppers, Laura Lunger and Greg M. Semenza. Milton in Popular Culture. New York: Palgrave MacMillan, 2006. Web.
      • Page 190 deals with the belief Milton had about self-censoring information, freedom of the press, and censorship that bled into modern ideologies.
      • There are really good summaries of the arguments made in Areopagitica.
      • Once again, the search feature is wonderful.
    • Bury, John Bagnell. A History of Freedom of Thought. Oxford: Cambridge UP, 2004. Web.
      • This is downloadable in Kindle format for free. 
      • In location 880 of 2523, Bury uses Areopagitica to outline why Milton thought censorship was wrong and what those thoughts did to create progress over time.
The ACLU
  • This is the document that ties these two things together, really. It describes the Patriot Act's redefining of what domestic terrorism is, making it possible for the NSA to gather information and use it against people, in essence to censor things even before they're sure it will cause problems. 
  • The whole premise of the Patriot Act is censorship and surveillance in the name of stopping terrorism. 
  • My argument is resting on the idea that the government can interpret this freely (which obviously the NSA has) of drag netting information and creating a system of surveillance that makes sure people aren't pushing for change in ways that the government doesn't particularly like and labeling it "terrorism." 
Ludwig Von Mises Institute
  • "Second, the brilliant arguments Milton makes against licensing and regulation of printing offer some of the best arguments against government interference into all parts of the economy. I am not claiming Milton was conscious of the applicability of his arguments to other forms of intervention, or that he would necessarily agree with it. But the fact remains that many of the arguments he makes have been used and refined by countless economic minds to describe and oppose government regulation in many forms. Milton makes plain why a lack of competition and the presence of central control in the market of ideas is detrimental. The market of goods and services is not so different."
  • Link here.
And here are the links to my other blog posts that contain Annotated Bibliography information:

No comments:

Post a Comment