Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Annotated Bibliography

Annotated Bibliography:

I am working on finding more New Media sources, but the ones that I have been finding don't deal at all with my argument

Working Thesis:
"Although Adam and Eve are the first of the human race it is inaccurate to consider them as symbolic representations of the race as a whole by the way they think, feel, and behave in Milton's Paradise Lost. Misreading this symbolic representation interrupts Milton's concept of the Fall and its influence on mankind."




Social:
  • My parents have always been a good resource. Neither of them studied literature in college, but my mom especially is very well read and always provides good insights into what I'm working on. My dad always points out stuff that I hadn't even thought about, providing a fresh look at the subject.
  • My sister, Sarah. She is a student here at BYU and has taken some literature classes. Most importantly, she doesn't ever hesitate to tell me when I'm being dumb or missing the mark. 
  • There are a couple English majors in my ward with me that I'm sure will be a good resource. I'm sure they have plenty of papers they're working on-- we could probably just organize a group read and help each other out.
New Media:
  • There are a series of lectures on Youtube that have been posted by the Yale Open Courses site. There are several lectures covering a wide range of topics with both Paradise Lost and other works by Milton. You can find the videos here.

Social Networks:
  • I am following Dave Harper on Twitter. He is a professor at West Point and a self-proclaimed Miltonist. He runs a blog here that focuses on Milton and astrophotography. It's an interesting combination.
  • Dave presented on a Milton panel with Lara Dodds, who I am also now following on Twitter. They have tweeted some conversation about the Milton conference in Tennessee. They also have some Twitter conversations with Jason Kerr, who I am also following and will try to meet with.
  • I've tried Google+ and Facebook, but most of the quality stuff originated from members of our class. There are some other blogs out there, but most of them are pretty amateurish posts about having to read Paradise Lost for class or something.
Traditional Scholarship:
  • Smyth, Maura J. "Narrating Originality in Paradise Lost." Studies in English Literature 53.1 (2013): 137. Print. This article talks a lot about Adam and Eve playing an active part in the creation, not just being acted upon. The author focuses most of her attention on Eve, but brings up good points that are equally applicable to Adam.
  • Ittzes, Gabor. "Fall and Redemption: Adam and Eve's Experience of Temporality after the Fall in Paradise Lost." The AnaChronisT (2005): 38. Print. A study of Adam and Eve's experience and adjustment after the Fall. This aids my argument that Adam and Eve's experiences are completely exclusionary and unique.
  • Martin, Roberta C. "How Came I Thus? : Adam and Eve In the Mirror of the Other." College Literature 27.2 (2000): 57. Print. A reading that is focused on the psychology that Adam and Eve go through during the transition from Creation to Fall.
  • Stone, James W. ""Man's Effeminate S(lack)ness:" Androgyny and the Divided Unity of Adam and Eve." Milton Quarterly 31.2 (1997): 33-42. Print. This explores the character of Adam, his relationship with Eve, and their reliance on each other in Paradise Lost. While the author's overall argument isn't necessarily in the same vein as mine, a lot of his analysis will contribute to my argument.
  • Christopher, Georgia. "The Verbal Gate to Paradise: Adam's "Literary Experience" in Book X of Paradise Lost:" PMLA , 90.1 (Jan., 1975): 69-77. Print. The focus of this essay is the evolution of Protestant views of Adam and their presence in Milton's work. Understanding the views 
    of Adam at the time of Milton's career will help justify my argument.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment