Friday, November 1, 2013

Honoring Shakespeare: Othello's Iago as a Model for Milton's Satan in Paradise Lost

1957: Satan tempting Eve.
Sheila Barker and Gerald Morden.


1995: Iago whispers lies in Othello's ear.
Laurence Fishburne and Kenneth Branagh.















To read my article, click here.




When I wrote this paper, I decided that I should look into Milton's education, but that I should spend the majority of my time on comparisons between Iago and Satan. I realized my paper was really going to be too long unless I just took one or two specific examples from the works, so I focused on one good example from each work to compare and discuss why it is evidence that Iago is a model for Satan.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chelsea, I am one of Dr. Burton's current students! I am hoping to not only reference this paper in my final research paper, but I am also hoping to chat with you about your insights. Please get back to me at pepergirl13@gmail.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, after having studied Shakespeare's "Othello" last year at the Univ. of IL at Chicago and this semester studying Milton's "Paradise Lost", Yes I agree with you that Shakespeare's depiction of Iago is reflected in several ways in the characterization of Milton's Satan. Yes, you're probably quite right.

    ReplyDelete